The BEST Vegan Lentil StuffingNov 11, 2023
The Best Vegan Lentil Stuffing
Serves 8-10 • Total Time: 1 hour • FODMAP rating: medium to high
This stuffing is very filling. Instead of sausage we use lentils flavored with salt, fennel and sage so it tastes a little like sausage.(but way better for you and so much lighter!)
Prep work: cut up 8-9 slices of whole wheat bread the night before (or at least 8 hours before) and let it dry out over night.
Optional prep work (to make Thanksgiving morning go more smoothly): Cook about 8 ounces of lentils in veggie broth or salt water. Chop 1 onion and 2 stalks of celery. Store in the fridge.
8-9 slices of whole-grain bread* (cubed & set out to dry overnight)
2 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
1 onion (diced)
2 stalks celery (diced)
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make a flax egg)
3 cups veggie broth
3/4 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon of fennel.
Salt & pepper
Optional toppings: Pomegranate seeds, fresh parsley or chopped spinach
- The night before, cube your bread and set it in a large bowl to dry out – you want it to be the texture of day old bread – noticeably dry but not rock hard.
- The day of, if you haven’t already cooked your lentils, do so now with salt water or veggie broth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Water sauté onion and celery and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant and translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Pour the broth then add the remaining ingredients (sage, cooked veggies, flax egg, and lentils) and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to the prepared pan with bread. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Be careful not to over cook it so it’s too dry, or undercook it, so it’s too soggy. Check on it frequently and use your best judgment.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before adding optional toppings to help liven up the dish (pomegranate seeds, Fresh parsley or chopped spinach)
*Don’t forget to preload on vegetables before you eat!
*FODMAP Swaps: omit the regular onions and use green onions instead (only the green part)
Click here to learn more about our plant-based membership, courses and coaching programs.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest plant-based tips, tricks, and recipes.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.